Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Since 1989

Plastic Surgery Trends | Breast – Butt – Labioplasty

Plastic surgery trends change over time and it is important to listen to new patient preferences as well as understand the latest technology and practices available. Dr. Widder discusses his own experience with trends in breast augmentation, butt implants and labioplasy.

plastic-surgery-trends

Q: Has the popularity of breast implant surgery stayed strong in your practice?

Oh, yes.  I do quite a few each week. Tomorrow I’m doing two.  They are very common.  Breast augmentation surgery is still the #1 cosmetic procedure in the U.S.

 Q: In the past, you’ve expressed caution about the “Gummy Bear” breast implants trend.  Do you have any new thoughts on those?

I don’t use them.  I’d say 98% of the time I use saline implants and for the other 2% I use silicone gel implants.  I never use “Gummy Bears” because the concept doesn’t make sense to me.  You have to make a bigger incision.  Then, you have to create a smaller pocket because this kind of implant is  oval and if you make a large pocket it can flip from side to side.  It goes against my philosophy about creating a natural looking and feeling breast.  A natural breast moves.  It jiggles.  If you create a small pocket, the capsule around the implant tightens up and then it doesn’t move like a normal, natural breast.  Both me and my patients are so happy with the saline implants that I keep using them.  If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it, right?

Q: Any changes in the butt implant procedures for you?  Is that part of your practice still growing?

Yes, interest is still on the rise.  For butt implants, I also continue to use the same procedure.  My patients are happy.  Early on – maybe 9 or 10 years ago – I used a different type of implant.  I used the so-called textured implant.  It had a rough surface and would create a lot of fluid collection in the pocket.  It would rub against the tissue, create inflammation, and fluid production was the result.  There were many problems with that type of implant so I began looking for something else.  The implants I have used for the last several years are excellent.  When you have problems, you have to start looking for something that is more predictable and less troublesome. Presently , I am very happy with the butt implants. Virtually every patient I operate on has no complaints and is very happy with the result.

Q: Do you have recent accounts of patients coming from far and wide for your work?

I had one come from Richmond about a week and a half ago.  A few more people have been expressing interest from the Midwest, the South, and even from beyond the contiguous U.S.  Today, people are looking for surgeons who are doing the best procedures no matter where they are in the world.  Just because someone is doing a procedure doesn’t mean it will be the way that particular patient likes it.  That’s why the Internet really is the great equalizer.  Everything is out there and there is transparency.

I had a patient who came to me from Arizona.  She was going to go to someone in California, but then she did more research and said that she likes my butts better. She flew all the way to Washington to have the surgery.  That is the beauty of the Internet – you just have to get the word out.

Q: You recently traveled to study labioplasty.  Have you been performing the surgery yet?

No, not yet.  I discussed it with the surgeon who does it more than anyone else in the U.S.  He is the one who created the technique I am interested in.  I’m going to go and see him.  He’s been out of the country, but either at the beginning or in middle of next month, I will go see him in one of his offices in New York or L.A.  I will watch the labia minora reduction surgery, and then I feel I’ll be ready to begin to offer it.  I have a couple of patients already lined up.

Labioplasty is becoming very popular.  Since I haven’t been performing it, I personally haven’t gotten a lot of queries yet, but a few patients have asked me, which is what raised my interest.  Once I put out a sign in our waiting area, I think I will have a good response to it.

When I mentioned my interest in performing this surgery to my account manager at RealSelf.com, she got very excited.  She said that there is a huge market for it in the U.S.  I don’t plan to become a guru in labioplasty, but soon I will be glad to offer it as a service to my patients.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary from person to person. Images may contain models.