You’ve been considering plastic surgery and have made the choice to go through with it, but you’ve been searching “best plastic surgeon near me” with no luck.
Choosing a doctor for your cosmetic surgery is an extremely important choice. It’s vital you choose someone who knows what they’re doing, can make you feel comfortable, and will give you the results you’re looking for. So how do you find the “best plastic surgeon near me” when you have no idea where to start?
Read on below to learn the steps to finding your perfect plastic surgeon.
How to Choose the Best Plastic Surgeon for You
Starting the search for your plastic surgeon can feel a bit intimidating, but don’t worry. You’re not alone. Millions of women get cosmetic procedures done every year in the U.S. Simply follow these tips to help you choose a doctor that will give you the results you want – stress-free.
1 – Ensure They’re Board-Certified
While googling “best plastic surgeon near me” you may have felt overwhelmed by all the names that popped up. But here’s the first step towards paring down your list: finding out who is Board-certified and who isn’t.
If the doctors you’re reading about are not Board-certified don’t waste your time; cross them off your list.
“But won’t the state medical board be enough to determine a doctor’s skill level?”
“The government does not require a surgeon to be specifically trained in the procedures they offer.”
Don’t fall for general surgeons dipping their toe into the cosmetic surgery pool to increase their profits. Ask every single surgeon you interview this question:
“Are you Board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?”
If they say no, choose someone else. Being certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) is absolutely essential. The ABPS is dedicated to training, educating, and certifying cosmetic surgeons. Having an ABPS certification means that they were properly trained and have experience specifically with cosmetic surgery procedures.
Click here to learn more about why choosing an ABPS surgeon is so vital.
Ensure your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
2 – Confirm They Have Experience with the Procedure You Want Done
If you’re looking for breast augmentation, you should not choose this doctor. Think about this: operating on a nose is a lot different than operating on a breast.
It’s always best to go with someone who has extensive experience in the cosmetic procedure you’re looking to have done.
Here’s what to ask your surgeon to learn more about their experience:
- How many years have you been performing this procedure?
- How did you train to perform this procedure?
- How many times have you done this specific procedure?
- May I see some before and after photos?
3 – Get Proof of Their Results
Whenever you interview a plastic surgeon, you should always ask for multiple examples of before and after photos. These photos should be based on the procedure you want done.
Remember: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What’s beautiful to one person may not be beautiful to another. Your personal preferences are valid and should be part of the consideration process.
Don’t choose a surgeon solely based on a friend’s recommendation; do your research to ensure they’re right for YOU.
This is also why you shouldn’t simply trust a surgeon solely based on a friend’s recommendation. Look carefully at each surgeon individually and consider if they’re right for you.
Here’s how to determine if they’re right for you:
- Compare and contrast before-and-after photos from different surgeons to decide which results you find the most appealing.
- Pay attention to patients who have similarities with you. This will give you a better idea of how this surgeon will tailor a procedure to your body type, concerns, and desires. For example:
- Patients around your age
- Patients with the same concerns you have (i.e. sagging skin, different sized breasts, or another issue)
- Facial Surgery: Look for patients with a similar facial structure to your own.
- Breast Surgery: Look for patients with a similar breast shape and torso (i.e. narrow shoulders and petite, widely spaced breasts).
- Body Surgery: Look for patients with a similar body shape.
- Look for consistency in a surgeon’s before-and-after photos. If they’re all wildly different, this is a red flag. If some are great, but others are terrible or only so-so, don’t choose that surgeon.
4 – Trust Yourself
As women, we’re often quite used to feeling like we aren’t being heard by medical professionals. If that’s the case with your plastic surgeon, find someone else immediately.
Your cosmetic surgery is all about you, and your needs and desires should always come first with your plastic surgeon.
The “best plastic surgeon near me” will NOT make you feel small, ignored, or disrespected. Instead, they should make you feel confident, heard, and safe.
If you’re feeling unheard or disrespected, find a different surgeon. Trust yourself and your instincts. If you feel something is off within the first meeting, that usually means it is.
If you’re unsure, ask yourself these questions:
- Do I like talking and spending time with this surgeon?
- Do I trust that this surgeon will do what’s safe and right for my health and my body?
- Is the staff polite, friendly, and kind to me?
- Does the surgeon react positively and answer fully when I ask questions?
- Would I feel comfortable asking them any question I may have about the procedure or process?
- Would I feel comfortable discussing my full medical history and habits to them?
If the answer to any of the above is no, that’s a red flag. Find someone else.
A good plastic surgeon will make you feel confident, heard, and safe.
5 – Check out the Operating Facilities
Another important factor to consider when selecting the “best plastic surgeon near me” is where operations take place.
This facility, along with your anesthesia provider, are key to your safety during the procedure. Make sure you will be at an accredited operating room, as these facilities are designed with your safety in mind and life support systems in case anything goes wrong. Accredited facilities ensure you’ll receive:
- High quality care for trained, experienced surgeons and staff
- A clean, fully stocked operating room
- A trained and highly qualified anesthesia provider
- Trained staff and the right equipment to respond efficiently in case of emergency
Here’s how to find out if your surgeon does surgery in an accredited facility:
- Ask your surgeon where they do surgery.
- Then, discover the facility’s accreditation level. Try to seek out AAAASF, AAAHC, or JCAHO certifications.
- AAAASF – American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities
- AAAHC – Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care
- JCAHO – The Joint Commission
- Finally, do some research on your anesthesia provider and their qualifications. Either a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) or a Board-Certified Anesthesia provider should be giving you your anesthesia.
You’ve Found the “Best Plastic Surgeon Near Me.” Now Schedule an Appointment!
Dr. Shlomo Widder is a Board-certified plastic surgeon with 31 years of experience giving patients the results they want and deserve.
Dr. Widder and his remarkable staff put individualized attention into every patient. We want you to feel confident during every step of your cosmetic journey.
Dr. Widder’s personal approach has earned him the title of one of Northern Virginia’s Top Plastic Surgeons. Schedule your consultation with Dr. Widder today by clicking the button below or calling us at 703-506-0300.
How Do I Find the Best Plastic Surgeon Near Me? | Widder Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Center – Vienna, VA